With less than a week to go until HMRC’s ‘Making Tax Digital for VAT’ goes live there are still changes being made to the process of registering with HMRC.
At Thomas Westcott we are keeping track of these changes and constantly updating our instructional notes to minimise the potential disruption created by this process. Because these are constantly changing these have not been published so please contact your local Thomas Westcott contact to obtain an up to date copy.
As reported in February there is a strict window to ensure a successful signup. As a reminder:-
• The application to register for MTD must be made after all non-MTD VAT returns have been filed
• If VAT is normally paid by Direct Debit do not sign up
- Within 15 days before the new MTD submission deadline
- Within 5 working days after a submission deadline
- It will take up to 72 hours for confirmation to be issued
- No filing should take place whilst the confirmation is pending.
We have been informed that this timetable may be relaxed but we continue to await confirmation.
Signup procedure in short
1. You need a Government Gateway Account (this can be your existing account or a new one which you can create)
2. Data contained within our notes needs to be collated before you attempt to sign up – failure to match the application data to HMRCs records will result in failure to register
3. Register for MTD using your Government Gateway Account – This cannot be done via the Government Gateway Account and a separate HMRC link must be used instead
4. Once registered to submit via MTD you must then authorise your software to submit via MTD for VAT thereafter
Failure to meet any of the above will result in failure to comply with the MTD requirements and could result in a failure to submit VAT returns which in turn could lead to financial penalties. Please contact your local Thomas Westcott advisor for a copy of the full instructions or for assistance with this process.